Friday, June 26, 2015







You Can’t Have Too Much “He said/She Said”

The day one assignment of writing a speech story on deadline had me in a panic. I had a great deal of information written in my notebook backed up by audio. Carver Weakley showed me how to manage that bit of technology. I took at least 25 pictures but really wanted Chris Callahan to stop walking and put down the Diet Coke can.
Back in 317, I could not determine my lead. That garnered me,  “I really like the idea (italics mine) of your lead-in” from Steve Elliott. And that was the best I could do.
On day one.
All of Steve’s comments were useful, not hurtful. Which made me think about how best to work with student submissions. I like the numbers pointing to the place for improvement: “2-A place where attribution would help you”. These types of comments are concrete, identify exactly what would strengthen the piece and provide opportunity for development.
And development and improvement is what we hope for with our students. Mastery would be nice too.
Ann Neary
DeWitt Clinton High School

Bronx, NY

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar problem too. I know what I wanted to say, had it all planned out in my head, but just couldn't get it the way I liked on paper. 30 extra minutes, I could have had it perfect, but I totally pulled one of my kids and just sat there thinking. I always tell my kids to just start writing and organize later. I didn't even follow my own advice I used when I used to write. Steve's projects and comments have put my butt in gear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this exercise. Of everything we've done this week, this was my favorite. I worry all the time about being a "fake" journalism teacher. Awards don't fix the problem. The kids earn those. The Fine Arts degree I earned doesn't necessarily make me a great writing coach. I try to write myself. I write/give a speeches about my editors that I write every year. I write a TON of recommendation letters. I write articles for the newsletter for our school about what's happening in the publications class or in the art department... yet I still feel like the art teacher trying to be a publications teacher. After 20 years. Thanks Reynolds Institute for validating that I can write fairly decently and I can fake it 'til I make it. I feel like I finally made it.

    Annie Green
    Glacier Peak High School
    Snohomish, WA

    ReplyDelete