Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Who Knew? I Sure Didn't


I can not remember the last time I sat in a basic photography class or workshop and learned so much about photography.  While participating in the 2015 Reynolds High School Journalism Institute at the Walter Cronkite Journalism School on the downtown campus of Arizona State University Dave Seibert a Senior Multimedia Producer with the Arizona Republic and AZCentral.com opened my eyes.  Seibert began his Basics of Digital Photography session with Jeopardy, one of my all-time favorite television game shows.  I am a huge Alex Trebek and Jeopardy fan.  I grew up watching this show with my family and now I watch it with my grandson after I give him a bath.  I was in my comfort zone.  I was learning photography terms that were new and refreshing to me.

I have always used the word emotion with my television productions students because it's great video but somehow I forgot, it is also, an important aspect in photography.  How did I forget that?  I have been so wrapped up in video that I forgot photography can invoke (and sometimes more) emotion too.  How could I let that happen.  Where have I been?  I don't know but I am not there anymore thanks to Dave Seibert and the Reynolds High School Journalism Institue.

Seibert opened my eyes when he shared a video a group of his students produced on Car Boat Racing on Land.  I think that it the proper name of the sport.  Yeah, who knew?  I sure didn't.  I have never seen anything like it in my life.  What a great story idea.  The natural sound, the camera angles and the sound bites were all amazing.  However, the narrator's voice stood out to me the most.  I think his voice stood out the most because I could literally feel his emotion and love for this unique sport.  I can only image the pre-planning, time and effort that went into this group project.  What a great story. What an unique story.  What an amazing story.

Who knew?  I know now.



Bernice Young
Oakleaf High School
Orange Park, Florida






1 comment:

  1. My students would enjoy playing the Jeopardy game to learn key photography concepts. One of many great take aways from the institute.

    ReplyDelete