Monday, June 22, 2015



Landfill


As I have spent my last two days here at ASU downtown, the trash cans clearly labeled Landfill have arisen a guilt in me that I had never had.  I've always gone through life in Houston, just throwing away trash as I always have.  Sure, we have recycling, but it is quite limited to say, what I've encountered in Denver or Toronto, but this labeling of the trash can is something new for me.  As I went to throw away a cup, I was really unsure if it was recyclable or trash. What material was it? Did I need to wash it out if it was recyclable? Was the lid recyclable and maybe not the cup itself? All things I hadn't been forced to think about until I came here.
I value the eye opening landfill marked trash cans, they bring awareness to you immediately. It forces you to rethink when you are tossing.  Will this make a difference for me when I return to my very "nongreen" city at home? This will be interesting to see....

Shetye Cypher
Tompkins HS
Katy, TX

2 comments:

  1. If you don't have a recycling program at your school, this would be a great time to start one! Think of the media approach to a complete overhaul of recycling: education, resources, going green, community partnership with the sanitation department, school jobs, etc. Endless opportunities for a school project!

    Sharon Fonzo
    Poston Butte HS
    San Tan Valley, AZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are grants available to schools and communities to help fund recycling programs. That's how Phoenix's Pollution Prevention program was partially funded in the nineties. It would be an interesting article for your students to research, but it could also empower them to make a change in their own community.

    ReplyDelete