Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Photography 101



There is something about learning from a master in their field.  My point and shoot attitude towards photography hearkens back to the days of low quality disposable cameras. Yesterday, an adjustment in this attitude occurred as I sat listening to Dave Seibert's photography tips and tricks.  After looking through my 1000 plus pictures on my phone, I realized only four were of any quality. However, I must say that I am somewhat proud of one photo based on the lighting, texture, and pattern.
Cupcakes for 13th birthday party. 


Aside from this one photo, I attempted the just be there approach to picture taking this morning.  It's not great by any measure, but it does capture the idea of downtown Phoenix at 6 a.m. But, after yesterday's class with Dave Seibert, I know the back lighting washed out their faces and probably should have used the zoom forward with the feet approach. 


With thanks to Brandon Quester, I acquired a few skills within the Adobe Photoshop program.  At least now, I know I am able to crop this photo, as well as adjust the layers and curves to fix some of my lighting issues.  Before I continue to play with Adobe Photoshop, I need to dive into some reading about photo ethics.  After learning about possible ethical violations with manipulating pictures, I realize I need to be more aware of what we do as a newspaper organization. 

Esther Bateson
Basha High School
Chandler, AZ



No comments:

Post a Comment