Friday, June 26, 2015

The Hive, At Your Service....sort of



I like to help people, I really do.  It's the kind of world that I want to live in, where everyone is willing to help each other out. The issue that I'm having is that upon becoming the broadcast teacher and making and editing videos, it's mind blowing how many teachers in my building  just assume that my students or I would not mind "making a little video" for them.  It's frustrating really, because it puts me in a position to make a choice.  I can either say yes and cram their project into my already jammed up schedule, or say no and have them upset with me.  I have to get more comfortable with choosing the latter, or it will cost my students production time and my marriage will no longer be a happy one.  One of the latest requests by a colleague is, and I think you will agree, quite interesting. I am teaching my 2nd period class and he walks through my open door.  I walk over and say, “Hi, what’s up?”  He tells me that he is currently participating in a workshop across campus where they are learning to expand their use of technology in their teaching.  He said that they were given an assignment to create a video, edit and export it.  He said that he immediately thought of me and wanted to enlist my help.  I stood there in front of my students, who were waiting for our conversation to end so that we could go back to our discussion, and asked him about the due date of the project.  He said, “Oh, we are supposed to turn it in before we go to lunch, but I think we could work on it during lunch, if you need to.”  In my head…oh really, if I need to? So, let me get this straight, he was expecting me to stop teaching my class, film him doing something that he hadn’t made clear, and then edit the video, all before or perhaps during my lunch….TODAY!  I smiled and said, “Well, that’s a tight deadline I’m not sure I can get that done.”  He said, “Oh no, I just thought your students could work on it.”  I explained that my students were also on a deadline and were all working on a project themselves.  Not wanting to leave him without a solution in his time of need, I suggested that he go upstairs to his classroom and get some of his students to help out, there is a sub in his classroom and it would be perfect.  He said….and I’m not making this up…. “Well, I didn’t want to disrupt the class.  I left them with an important assignment.”  Does anyone see anything wrong with this?


4 comments:

  1. You are so much more polite than me. I would have said, "Let me see if I understand this clearly... and restated that his students were working on an assignment of importance and my students were what exactly..." Then I would have said, "I need to get back to teaching, excuse me." Being of service is one thing, a door mat, another. A lead time of 10-14 days is acceptable, what he did was unacceptable. Likable person or not, this is unacceptable and unkind. Before school starts this year, at an all school staff meeting, I would get up and be with your awesome sense of humor, let the staff know the lead time you will need to help with projects and what your expectations are. Let them know you have a curriculum and dropping by during your class time is uncool. If you let everyone know at once, you look like you have your act together and anyone who wants something on the fly looks unprepared. Your heart for service will come through AND you will maintain your dignity in your program.

    Annie Green
    Glacier Peak High School
    Snohomish, Washington

    ReplyDelete
  2. Create a template on your school's website with a pricing schedule for videos. Capitalize upon your program. Tell them that you can make a video, but it will cost them a fee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Create a template on your school's website with a pricing schedule for videos. Capitalize upon your program. Tell them that you can make a video, but it will cost them a fee.

    Esther Bateson
    Basha High School
    Chandler, AZ

    ReplyDelete