Friday, June 26, 2015

'Hey Miss!!! What's my grade in here?'



This past year, my students constantly asked me about their grade.  Honestly, my system last year was terrible and I was always late with my online news grades.  I'll definitely utilize some of the grading techniques I have learned and hopefully streamline the process.

I really like how Alan uses categories in his grading policy, so I am going to steal it for next year. The story pitching sheet will definitely help the kids focus their story. This as well as posting pitches/beats to Google drive will help me, because we are required to have 3 grades a week in the grade book.

Finding things for students to do between stories has been a challenge.  Some of my pet peeves last year were when I'd see my student's playing on their phone. Even worse, seeing them play video games on our beautiful iMacs instead of doing something constructive with their time.  So Alan's "valleys" of production list will help with that down town.

This past year I ended up with student's who did not sign up for online news.  Many had no interest in the subject, which hindered those who ended up liking the subject and really wanted to learn.  I'm hoping the schedule will be done correctly for this coming  fall.

I am so grateful for being able to take part in the Reynolds experience, especially here at the Cronkite school.  I feel privileged to have a new network of some of the best educators in the nation and at ASU.  I am looking forward to using my new skills and sharing my knowledge with my students this fall.  I feel more prepared to help build a strong program at Molina and hopefully take it on a path to become a journalism school.


Victoria R Tijerina
Moises E. Molina High School
Dallas, Texas

4 comments:

  1. I feel like I've had a good system of grading that has worked for me given that my school district dictates the categories and the weights of those categories. I've pretty much made initial work part of the smallest category, rough drafts are the next category up and then final drafts are all part of the major category.
    After listening to Alan and everyone else, I see that all different schools grade in all different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the most important thing about grading is finding a balance between meeting the requirements of our school/district and maintaining personal sanity. Grading is the bane of most teachers' existence (especially English teachers), and we need to find a way to make it easier on us.

    Alan said his EIC "just gets an A." Mine too, unless he/she really messes up. Thankfully, that hasn't happened yet. #sanity

    Kris Urban
    Corona del Sol High School
    Tempe, Ariz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping up with three grades a week can be tough! I've found Google forms to be an effective tool as well. Students complete self evaluations, assignments of that sort, and it is so much easier to look at, and quicker, to compile a weekly grade.

    Lisa Cases
    Independence HS
    Glendale, Arizona

    ReplyDelete