Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Gap

Despite the government’s attempt to converge what students are learning, it has been my experience that communities and school districts still have a major impact on what kids are reading, what they’re learning, and their motivations for success. The first example that comes to mind is Hazlewood and the fact that this sickness may take some time to cure because of the conservative nature of our community. 

The second example that comes to mind is based on my experiences working in Alabama. My second year of teaching came in Anniston, home to the tragic bus burnings of the civil rights era. I taught at a 98% African-American Title I school with uniforms, single-file marching and regular lockdowns due to fights and weapons. I wan to preface the following comments with the fact that I am not racist. What I encountered in this school was what I consider to be counter-productive in the fight against white-on-black racism. As a literature teacher, I was only allowed to teach African American authors. The community events at the school were centered on African American themes i.e. “My President is Black,” and the students were encouraged to attend notoriously all-black colleges i.e. Alabama A&M, Tuskegee University, and the Talladega College, and Miles College. In addition, as one of 3 white faculty members, I was discriminated against on a daily basis by my supervisor, my co-workers, and even some parents who refused to meet with me because I was white. It’s not a part of my history that I’m super fond of because I know how it sounds.

One thing that was really great for those students was some of the guest speakers that were used to ‘Scare Students Straight.’ They were very serious encounters, complete with profanity, yelling, and stomping around. Not a lot like the following clip, but they served similar purposes:





What I wish they had received however was the information that we gained from Ira Glass via Dave Seibert in the photography workshop.  There is a serious gap between what students in our country are learning about themselves and what they should be and deserve to be learning/knowing about themselves:

https://vimeo.com/85040589

Steve Haslam
Copper Hills High School
West Jordan, UT


No comments:

Post a Comment