Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Wine-ding down


Today took it out of me.  By "it" I obviously mean my self-doubt and my reluctance in sharing and participating. Even with the dreaded return of our deadline stories, I am feeling more confident in what I am doing than I ever have before.
Tonight, I sit at the my hotel table, looking out at Arizona and all I can think is how grateful I am to be here.  Once upon a not-too-long time ago, I was having a rough go of things.  I worked in a district that was failing in every way- test scores, faculty morale, student morale and community involvement. When I had a walk-through, it would often be followed by a panic attack.  I was unhappy.
And then the most amazing thing happened.  A friend of mine, who had taken over the yearbook position at New Braunfels High School, left her job for an AP position.  She called and told me that she had recommended me and that I had an interview the following day.  I am still in disbelief that I was hired an hour after a twenty minute interview.  That day changed my life because I had already decided to quit teaching.
Today, I was reminded of the skills I acquired at the Southwest Texas State University (now Texas State University) School of Journalism and Mass Communication. I worked for KTSW, the student radio station.  I produced news packages and DJ'd on Wednesday mornings.  I LOVED reporting the news on the radio, and in the time since I left college, I forgot.  I forgot how much I love working with audio.  I forgot how fulfilling it is to put together a complete story out of soundbites.   I also forgot how much I love putting together a video package, and I think Dr. Tim England would be proud that I am here. I forgot how meaningful that part of my life was to me.
Today I regained my confidence and truly understand my mission. That mission is to create a productive and meaningful news program at the high school where I teach.  I love advising The Unicorn Yearbook, but I am passionate about teaching the importance of news and its impact on our society.
So, as I sit here with my glass of wine, listening to Neko Case and reflecting on this opportunity I've been given I want all of you Reynolds attendees and leaders to know how thankful I am for you. Who would like to meet up in the lobby for a cocktail?

Amanda Wimmer
New Braunels High School
New Braunfels, TX

3 comments:

  1. Amanda I love your post! I do think one of the great benefits of being here at the institute is that it reminds you that what you do is both important and rewarding. As cliche as it sounds teaching is a labor of love and it's very difficult not to become invested in your students. Being reminded of your mission is a good thing.
    I am so thankful for all the connections I have made over the last couple days. I have learned so much form talking and working with everyone here. The network you create is invaluable.

    Jill Cavotta
    Mater Dei High School
    Santa Ana, CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Jill! The connections is what makes this whole experience. Hope to see you at Disneyland next year!!

      Delete
  2. Amanda, what a loss it would be to students if you had left! But I know the feeling of being so brought down by statistics and negativity. as that is part of my school reality too.We often do forget our purpose in the classroom. My husband refers to my work as "missionary" work. I am glad you have rekindled your passion and so glad to be working with you here at this amazing institute.

    ReplyDelete