Friday, June 26, 2015

Thank You


 
Thank you for this week.  It has been one of the best experiences ever.  I’ve learned like a dry sponge plunged in the sea. I've made good friends that I'll stay in touch with. But even more so, you renewed my love of journalism.  You took me back to being in college and loving my journalism classes—that love that got me a journalism degree and took me on to be a journalist.
What I realized late last night is that if you want teachers to be better, you must renew their love of what they teach. Instead of those drab sessions on how to be a better teacher or a refresher on classroom management, if our school administrations focused on sessions that reminded us why we teach what we teach, we would all be better teachers.

Just as we took classes and worked assignments this week, have science teachers do their own labs, have algebra teachers go through geometry lessons, or have English teachers read something and write on it.

So again, I thank you for this week and everything that it did for me as a teacher and as a journalist. You rocked my world!
Shetye Cypher
Tompkins High School
Katy, Texas

1 comment:

  1. I haven't ever been formally trained, so I was a really dry sponge before this week. I feel exactly as you do Shetye because I have expanded my love and my knowledge of journalism through these sessions. This has been the best professional development I have ever attended, and it has me thinking about how I can make sure all of the continuing education credits I earn have an equal or greater impact.

    Carver Weakley
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, Virginia

    ReplyDelete