Friday, June 26, 2015

Student Press and the Law


The Student Press Law Center turned out to be a good friend during my first year as adviser. The first issue of our paper was censored regarding the firing of the previous administration. I decided to pay the membership fee (retainer) of the SPLC. Once the class went through the benefits of membership, students became more comfortable about their purpose.

I also found a good curriculum titled "Your First Amendment is Showing" which you can download with the link. You can share the curriculum with the social science teachers.

I. The Five Freedoms of the First Amendment

II. Journalistic Ethics/Rights and Responsibilities

III. Journalism Basics

IV. Viewpoints and Editorials

V. Editorial Cartoons

VI. Additional Resources

I found the curriculum, along with the SPLC lessons and handouts, extremely helpful to allay concerns from the newspaper staff. To be censored so early in the year set a bad tone, and I felt that these resources moved us into a more positive direction.

Al Schleicher
Los Angeles Leadership Academy
Los Angeles, California



1 comment:

  1. Al, thanks for sharing this valuable information. I will definitely be incorporating the curriculum along with the SPLC lessons and handouts. I will be looking into having my students join also.

    Bernice Young
    Oakleaf High School
    Orange Park, Florida

    ReplyDelete