Friday, June 26, 2015

Learning Alongside My Students

What is this chair? It's my student's photo from her HS Insider story. Photo by Isabella Balandran

The Los Angeles Times HS Insider program my students participate in has been a great opportunity for my class. They are able to have their stories posted on a platform run by the Times and interact with professional journalists.

One of my students is doing a seven-week internship with the HS Insider program, and it has been exciting to see her work. She completed an assignment Thursday that was about a woodworking artist in Los Angeles. Her project included both a video and written piece. Sound familiar?

I’ve been seeing her tweets over the past couple days on her progress and couldn't be more excited and proud of the work she is doing. I am also humbled to know that she will come back to school with an even stronger skill set than my own in terms of video production.

I tell my students that they teach me so much, which they never quite understand. Seeing them help and inform each other is really a great way for them to learn. I look forward to my student’s other HS Insider submissions this summer and what she will bring to the classroom next year.

Here's the link to her story and the HS Insider site.

Jill Cavotta
Mater Dei High School
Santa Ana, Ca

2 comments:

  1. I wish they had something like this for the San Antonio area. We have a partnership with USA Today, but it isn't anything like this. Our kids need that outlet to show off the great things they can write. I am going to try out making my kids submit an article of some sort to a national outlet and see them have those successes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harold did an amazing job Jill. I know you are extremely proud of him. We do not have any internship opportunities in my area similar to this. This is a priceless experience. We don't have any television stations in our county. Everything is in the downtown Jacksonville area which is more than 45 minutes away.

    Bernice Young
    Oakleaf High School
    Orange Park, Florida

    ReplyDelete