Thursday, June 25, 2015

Relax, Eat Some Bacon

I totally get sucked into work, work, work, especially when things are due and that deadline is fast approaching.  In fact, it becomes a weakness to me because my easy-going demeanor starts to disappear along with my patience for mistakes and I get grumpy.  

The  Reynolds Institute totally emulates the stressful environment of teaching a publication well by placing us on the side of having short deadlines and having multiple projects due at the same time.  I really appreciate getting that perspective.I haven't written on deadline since I was on my college newspaper.  I needed to get that sense being an "adrenaline junkie" as Steve Elliott puts it.

On the flip side of the coin, the Reynolds Institute has done a great job of squeezing in fun activities and bits of downtime throughout the day.  The leadership realizes that just like my kids, if too much is thrown at them at once, only a little bit will stick and burnout will set in.

I want to be more like the leadership here.  Yes, there are a million and one things to do in a day and even once the machine really starts churning with all of my publications and I'm working twelve hours a day I've got to fit in some time for my kids and me to have a little bit of fun to keep those stress levels down.  Pizza parties aren't enough.  I think getting out of my room and going someplace, even if it's still on the school campus for a teambuilding or photography activity would be such a great idea.  Going out to Bootleggers and seeing Scottsdale was perfect on Wednesday. We still have so much work to do, but  it was a great chance to unwind and not think about all the work that was left and just live in the moment.  Bacon can fix all of our stress.

Garrett Herbst
Ronald Reagan High School
San Antonio, Texas

7 comments:

  1. Words to live by: Better living through bacon. Glad everyone had a good time. And I hope someone got the mentor instructor/vocal stylist safely back to the hotel.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree. I love being an adrynaline junkie. I love the hustle/bustle of journalism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Alan's suggestion of having "fun Fridays" every other Friday. Then in that time play games, quiz them on current events and let them eat junk food. Great idea. I think these fun times, are part of the reason kids stay on staff. If you don't make it fun, it's just a bunch of extra work for a majority of the students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so enjoyed the adrenaline rush of this week that I don't know what I'll do with myself when I get home. Well, maybe sleep for a whole day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anybody do team building exercises? We have a ropes course close to our school that a few clubs and organizations use and if I can get my membership up I will definitely consider it. I work with our media productions club that did it and the kids tell me that they not only have a blast but they recognize that it helps with team building significantly.

    ReplyDelete