Thursday, June 25, 2015

Radio's Not Dead. It's Just Called Podcasting

Like most of National Public Radio's audience, I am an avid, if not obsessive fan of the "Serial" podcast. I feel like anyone who wants to teach about radio journalism should use that as one of the works they study. It's sensational nature leads some to ask, "Is it REALLY journalism?" I argue yes, but it could also spark a very interesting debate on ethics and the line between fact and fiction.

In addition to "Serial," I’ve got a regular rotation of podcasts that I listen to on my daily commute to work.
  1. The Jillian Michaels Show
  2. Girl on Guy with Aisha Tyler
  3. The Nerdist
  4. Pop Culture Happy Hour
  5. James Bonding
  6. You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes
  7. How Did This Get Made
Even though some of these podcasts are pretty ridiculous, some of them have become excellent teaching tools in my classroom. Chris Hardwick of "The Nerdist" is not a trained journalist. He was the host of "Singled Out" on MTV...



...but now he runs the podcasting empire that is "The Nerdist" and he hosts "Talking Dead" on AMC, a live talk show airing after each episode of "The Talking Dead."

A stand-up comedian by trade, I bring up Chris Hardwick because he is an outstanding interviewer. If you've never listened to his interview of Paul McCartney on "The Nerdist" podcast, do yourself a favor - grab a pen and paper and take notes while you do. What makes Hardwick so great is that he is a conversationalist and a listener.

But I digress.

Tuesday's session on audio was, for me, one of the most exciting sessions for me because the longer I do this gig, the more of an audio geek I become. Imagine my excitement when one of my second-semester transfers just up and decided to create his own podcast for our website called "A Day in the Life." It's an interview series where my reporter interviews students who have interesting or unusual hobbies outside of school. He interviewed a mentorship student, a social entrepreneur, and an electronic dance music producer.


And he did all of this without any prompting from me.

I can't wait to better teach my students about audio and podcasting, but I'm also looking forward to going shopping for podcast gear. In an ideal world, I'd have a podcasting studio in my lab.

Maybe I can convince the prototyping teacher to make it a class project...

Erinn Harris
TJHSST
Alexandria, VA

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erinn, first thank you for the list of suggested podcasts to follow. If you have time check out Unfictional. Your "A Day in the Life" series example is inspiring, and I plan of using this example next year to frame as an assignment for my own students. There is such a push to integrate technology across different platforms at my school and this will be such a great way to do that. To be totally honest I don't listen to a lot of podcasts (I will need to school myself a little but I bring it into the classroom) but I see such a value in them. As you pointed out so well, radio isn't dead it's just evolved into something else.

    Jill Cavotta
    Mater Dei High School
    Santa Ana, Ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't even considered podcasting, but I totally am now. I think it's quick and easy. It seems like we could carve out a niche for it. Pretty pumped to take it back.

    Larry Steinmetz
    Bullitt East High School
    Mount Washington, KY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have fallen in love with podcasts over the last year. First it was Serial, like you. Then I moved on to trying out just about everything! I'm now hooked on This American Life. I'll have to give your list a try. As for teaching, I even included a lesson this spring in my J1 class about podcast and how it is basically an audio version of a feature. I'm not sure my students loved it like I did, but maybe it introduced them to some new version of journalism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the suggestions--I too am a podcast fiend. I love the diversity of programs that are available as podcasts, and I'm all over the place with mine:
    The Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor--I've brushed my teeth in the morning with my friend Garrison every morning for about 2 years now.
    NPR's Fresh Air--great interviews, features, and reviews
    This American Life--but I bet that goes without saying because Erinn mentioned Serial
    America's Test Kitchen--yum! And also some nice interviews and features
    Lexicon Valley from Slate--word nerds--ya' heard??
    Marc Maron's WTF--just got hip to him through a Fresh Air interview
    WBEZ's Filmspotting--pretty good film podcast
    WBEZ's Sound Opinions--pretty good music podcast
    Grammar Girl Quick and Dirty Tips--love to nerd out
    NPR's Intelligence Squared Debates--Oxford-style debates on issues in the news
    Poetry Magazine Podcast--monthly beauty
    Entitled Opinions (about Life and Literature) by Stanford's Robert Harrison--check out his lectures on Jim Morrison or Dante
    Happy to share!

    ReplyDelete