Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Bike Theft: Doing Things the Hard Way


This bike has been sitting outside the Cronkite School for the last couple of days, and it cracks me up every time I see it. Obviously, the bike is useless once the owner comes back, if that ever happens, but I'm mostly fascinated by what was stolen.

The back wheel of the bike is by far the most difficult part of a bike to remove.  Not only is this tire missing, but so is the dérailleur and the chain, which wouldn't be taken off a bike normally unless it was taken to a shop. Meanwhile, the front tire which is simple to remove in about two seconds is just hanging out. It's not even locked up. Most people lock their front tire along with that bike frame itself because it's so easy to steal.

I sometimes do this with my teaching. I do something the hard way when a simpler option was available to me. Sometimes I neglect to see the simpler option, or maybe I'm being stubborn, and I insist the harder option is better.

Today my brain felt close to bursting after everything we've learned in the last two days. It's all amazing information, but I won't be able to introduce it all this next year. I need to remember that so that I don't end up taking the back tire off and do things the hard way. I'm planning to play it simple by taking a step back and choosing five pieces from the institute that I'd like to introduce to my students this upcoming year. Then, I'll introduce more concepts the next year. Then I can refine what I've done and rework when necessary.

And one last question: why take the seat too?

Emily Sell
Bingham High School
South Jordan, Utah

4 comments:

  1. OK, now this may be the most innovative connection of something at the Cronkite School to one's teaching experience. I love that you shared this. Perhaps this bike story will replace my current entreaty: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easily the best analogy I have heard this trip. You said that you probably won't introduce everything this year. I would encourage you to get it all out there. You never know what a kid may grab. It probably won't all be great the first year, but hey mistakes are how we grow.

    Larry Steinmetz
    Bullitt East High School
    Mount Washington, KY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos! You wrote a lot of my same thoughts, too, because I'm in a similar situation. I see where Larry is coming from but I also see how that might overwhelm the students like it can for us. I am a high energy-type teacher who likes to get through things quickly and if I hit them with so many of these great tools and strategies I might fail at giving them the time to adapt to the program. But they are kids and can adapt quickly--ah!
    Maybe my best suggestion is to give the kids (maybe an editorial staff) an overview of the goals for the program and let them choose how much to implement. I see plenty of comments about empowering the students and I totally agree in the merit of doing that.

    Steve Whitman
    Geneva High School
    Geneva, Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the analogy of the bike theft and your teaching style. I tend to do the same thing...go about something the most difficult way possible. Then somewhere along the way it will dawn on me to drop the back tire, take the key out of my pocket and unlock the bike using the smarter way. If only I had remembered the "smart" way to begin with. Every year seems to be a learning experience and new challenges.

    ReplyDelete