Friday, June 26, 2015

Public Art in Unexpected Places

June 26




 While learning best practices for teaching journalism at the 2015 Reynolds High School Journalism Institute, I have also had a chance to discover some hidden treasures in downtown Phoenix. Making sure not to venture out of the safe zone, I have come across some interesting public art. Within a block of the Cronkite school of Journalism, I discovered a city bike parking structure crocheted with yellow and blue yarn to resemble a medicine wheel or perhaps a good luck charm to prevent bicycles from being stolen.  Also within the safe zone is a large mural depicting an earth mother surrounded by man eating rabbits. Then there is the center piece of downtown Phoenix entitled, Her Secret is Patience. The tunnel-like netting draws you in, I did not want to get too close incase it was a portal to another dimension. Then I saw the sculpture at night, and was taken back by its mysterious presence. I have two more days in Phoenix and hope to discover a few more gems.
Happy Treasure Hunting!

Michelle Obregon
Konawaena HS
Kealakekua, Hawaii






1 comment:

  1. Those are some great photos! I heard there was an actual law that public art is a requirement for new buildings in Phoenix. Seems like such a great idea. Check out the gel moving in the glass in the Cronkite Building after dark. It's so neat!

    ReplyDelete