Monday, June 22, 2015

Key to endless story ideas


Defining moments can generate story ideas to last a lifetime.



From those types of impact in our lives, negative or positive, we find passion.


Christopher Callahan, Dean and Arizona State University Provost, said one of the things he hopes student journalists are passionate about is life.


As a nine-year-old, I hit a baseball into the neighbor’s yard. My cousin, a boy, was with me as we trekked into the leaf-filled yard next door. My neighbor hesitated, then threw the ball to my cousin, but not before he gave me a clear look and laughingly said, “Almost forgot you were a girl.”


The first time I learned the definition of irate by experience.


When I was in fifth grade, The Sandlot was the new movie to see, and, being the athlete I was, I had to see it. I was loving the movie; Benny’s character was my favorite.


Then, Hamilton Porter, to silence a male rival in the movie with insult, said it: “You play ball like a girl!”


Another level of livid was felt with six words.


Even at those young ages, I found passion.


Passion in stories of overcoming challenges. Passion for tales of inequality. Passion in narratives of what it means to be strong.


Every experience, from us, or our students, is life and has a story waiting  be written.


The videos can be used to start a conversation with your staff, and from there, maybe a new defining moment will occur.

Lisa Cass
Independence HS

Glendale, Arizona



1 comment:

  1. Interesting to read this on the day of our diversity discussion. Thanks for sharing these resources.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete