Friday, June 26, 2015

Complete, but Bittersweet

Now that we hit publish with a real life AP copy editor's approval, I have mixed emotions. I'm really proud of my team and the work we did this week. Emily, Amanda and Carver are amazing. I am not sure that I have ever been in a group with absolute balance.  Everyone played a role and they worked hard at it. We didn't fight, argue and we really didn't even have a leader.

I'm excited to get back and get together with my editors. They have been blowing me up with boot camp dates and agendas and can feel my excitement. Still, I know that I am leaving behind an amazing experience with a group of people that will likely not be in one place again.

I hope the connections that I have made, yes even with Mandy, stick with me as much as the substance that I am taking back to Kentucky.

Screenshot: Larry Steinmetz
I deeply hope that ASU finds a way to continue this program. The reach of it is too important not to.

There are a lot of conferences and institutes out there and I haven't seen a parallel to this one. I didn't have a single bad session.  Even the ones that I thought I may not need left me with a takeaway. I would like to thank each of you and Alan and Steve for a refreshing start and a week that will linger for years to come.

Larry Steinmetz
Bullitt East High School
Mount Washington, KY

2 comments:

  1. I am agreement with you. This is a great pd experience and will have a great impact on all I do in my classes. I think journalism is a must have in the school and am exciited to go back and tackle my new role.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have a "boot camp" and cannot wait to have a meeting with my editors. They are awesome and I love the momentum of a new year, especially armed with the new information from my experience at the Cronkite School!

    ReplyDelete