Friday, June 26, 2015

If I only knew...Indesign Insights





INDESIGN
I have been using Indesign for four years, but have been mostly self taught. Alan Weintraut's
intro to Indesign session offered short-cuts and best practices that could have saved me and my students hours of revision.  As with all software, there is more than one method to achieve the desired results.

Best Practices and Tips:
  • Creating the number of columns in documents- can be added in new document panel or in document pages
  • Fill with placeholder text - great for layout design
  • Text Wrap also works on Text
  • Hold down the shift key when enlarging or reducing the size of a photograph or illustration  
  • The importance of a master page
  • Styles- using styles for headlines, pull-out quotes, copy
  • Horizontal Scale- use for headlines and copy 
  • Paragraph style options - turn off hyphenate option for all headlines
  • Watch the relationship between font size and leading

Michelle Obregon
Konawaena High School
Kealakekua, Hawaii









2 comments:

  1. I don't really use inDesign since everything has been online, but this year I think I'm going to make it necessary to use. We learned how to do cut outs, import color libraries and set up styles. We also learned about using grids and setting up columns, which were good tips!

    Victoria R Tijerina
    Moises E Molina High School
    Dallas, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria,
    I am thinking of leaving the web based service we use and taking the plunge. Nervous, but excited!

    ReplyDelete