Thursday, June 25, 2015

Boivin represents positive changes in journalism

No longer the stereotypical image of "sports reporter."
Because of their belief in what you do, so many professionals are more than willing to address the Reynolds Institute. I asked Paola Boivin to talk sports because of my regard for her work and because she is so engaging. But a bonus is what she represents in terms of positive changes in the news industry.

The first is obvious: She was one of the first female sports writers along with one of the first female sports columnists. I'm sure she was measured in describing the challenges she faced with sports figures and the public.

It wasn't long ago that journalism didn't offer many opportunities for women. One of the historic videos you'll take home (see it here, and scrub to five minutes in), with my reporting presentation, has the narrator saying that news reporting is a man's job but that there are opportunities for women covering things related to the home and fashion. Yikes. In the late 1980s, when I started in journalism, my former employer, The Associated Press, signed a consent decree in response to a lawsuit agreeing to offer more opportunities to women.

Today, well more than half of journalism majors are female and journalism is far more integrated in terms of gender. I still look forward to that translating into more women in leadership positions at major news organizations.

The second things she represents, at least to me, is the digital shift. Twitter presence, her videos – she has picked up these things well into her career and thrived. Her work in these areas amazes and inspires me.

I hope you enjoyed spending time with her. I sure did.

Steve Elliott
Arizona State University
Phoenix

1 comment:

  1. I truly appreciated Paola Boivin suggestions for meeting with the coaches before the season. Sometimes we miss the obvious. I already contacted my sports editor with this suggestion. In addition I liked Boivin suggesting that we ask coaches for tips on what they think would be a good story. I often struggled with game recaps because students already have that information because of social media.
    Debra Klevens
    Parkway West High School
    Ballwin, MO

    ReplyDelete