Thursday, June 25, 2015

Managing my Boss...Check


From Kristin Gilger’s Managing Your Boss, I realize that I work for a really good principal. He is competent, compassionate, communicates well and shows courage. He’s only been my boss for two years now, but I feel confident that he supports me and will have my back in a situation (i.e. when a parent went straight to the administration building saying that I was selling grades—which was really requiring ad sales).  He also assisted in getting the program off the ground in a new school.
I, in turn, am a loyal employee. The trust in me to do my job and the trust in him to lead is solid.
This of course doesn’t mean that I agree with all the decisions made in the building, but who really does? It’s like any relationship in that sense. The things I might not agree with are minor in my world. Just as in any relationship, if the disagreements are my major points in my world, the relationship could be a serious struggle.
I’m lucky that our personalities are compatible and so I’ve gotten to know him as a person as well as a boss and was able to answer almost all of the Twenty-one Things I Should Know About Your Boss. So I guess I’m headed in the right direction with the most important relationship in my workplace.
Shetye Cypher
Tompkins High School
Katy, Texas

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I have a great relationship with my boss. I have with most of them in fact. The only thing that I hate is that I am pretty sure he will move on in a few years to the board. Then I will have to break in someone new. Nothing worse than working with a new principal.

    Larry Steinmetz
    Bullitt East High School
    Mount Washington, KY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you Shetye! I had trouble answering some of the questions and then realized something has changed in terms of how I feel about my principal this year. This is not good! I have been avoiding him!!!

    ReplyDelete