Sunday, June 28, 2015

Winning the search engine optimization battle

We heard a few times this past week about the importance of search engine optimization, but we didn't spend too much time discussing the best strategies.  In trying to find what did work, I came across a recently published article that says what doesn't:

9 SEO Tactics that Don't Work Any More

This article is compelling because it basically says that the strategies I was most familiar with no longer work.  I took away two big ideas from the article: 1) Single key words are less important than they used to be, and 2) Social media matters.

If, like me, you're surprised that some more common SEO strategies are less useful now, reading some more productive strategies in this article is useful:

7 SEO Strategies to Implement in 2015

Ultimately, I know very little about SEO and have mostly focused on tagging online stories to aid in website navigation.  But as we saw with the A-Blast's story on the Confederate flag, a good SEO strategy can go a long way in bringing visitors to your site.  We might all benefit from doing more SEO work.  Does anyone have strategies they have found useful?

David Gwizdala
James B. Conant High School
Hoffman Estates, Illinois

1 comment:

  1. I admit I have not put much energy into search engine optimization strategies, and I probably will not. But what I might do is ask the the business teacher if his students would be interested in taking on the project of collecting data and making recommendations to increase viewers to our schools site.

    ReplyDelete