Sunday, June 28, 2015

Advice for Aspiring Journalists

It’s a given that not every student who enters our classrooms are going onto journalism careers.  Nonetheless, I treat my subject matter seriously and treat my students as aspiring young journalists.  Whether they choose to come back for more training and experience is up to them, but during our short time together my promise to them is to expose them to journalism careers and the skills necessary to be successful in those careers.  Given that I have zero experience as a journalist, I cannot speak from experience, so I try to have a few guest speakers throughout the semester who can lend a personal viewpoint on an ever-changing career.  When speakers are not available, the Internet is always a good back up.  Reading this article, which offers ten tips for aspiring journalists, is a way to start a class conversation on what it takes to make it as a journalist.  The videos with Katie Couric and Anderson Cooper also work as supplemental materials to show students, especially as you emphasize the importance of good writing, working hard, and going the extra step as keys to success in the world of journalism.



Jennifer Woolsey
Sunrise Mountain HS
Peoria, AZ






1 comment:

  1. I'm very appreciative of Anderson Cooper's emphasis on WRITING, even for broadcast journalists. Of course, some small writing errors can be resolved in editing, but as Steve emphasized this week: "Crap in, crap out." So much is hidden inside of good writing: critical thinking, the ability to view and consider multiple perspectives, a directness of purpose. If a journalist is missing these things, even early on in a story's conception and well before the editing stage, the story won't be very good. I always emphasize with my students that "writing is thinking," and Cooper's comments serve as an important reminder of this.

    David Gwizdala
    James B. Conant High School
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois

    ReplyDelete