Friday, June 26, 2015

Using the Right Equipment

Visiting the equipment check-out room on Wednesday was an eye-opening experience and quite frankly, made me feel inadequate. Seeing what is available to Cronkite students really opened my eyes to the array of technology available to journalists.

I have always been interested in technology and learning how to use it to my creative advantage, so as I started to investigate what equipment was available at my school, I realized the equipment I have access to won't be as cutting edge as I might want it to be, and I was worried. However, these technology sessions we've had over the last few days have been phenomenal for someone like me. Not only have I learned different ways to circumvent my program's shortcomings, but I have also learned, not having certain equipment might not necessarily be a shortcoming; it might even be a better situation for student learning.

I found all of parts of Paola Boivin's session informative, interesting, and engaging, but I was particularly uplifted by her admission that as journalism evolves, professional journalists can't always use cutting edge equipment to get the story and that in particular situations, it's better to document a story with what you have than lose authenticity by not documenting it with visual media at all. I think this is not only a valuable lesson I can teach my students, but a philosophy that will allow them to feel ownership, give them a sense of professionalism, and allow them to feel connected to those journalists who still get the traditional story but might go about it in nontraditional--and therefore cutting edge--ways.


Paola Boivin
Photo Credit: The Arizona Republic

Carver Weakley
Cosby High School
Midlothian, Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment