Monday, June 22, 2015

Trading Places

When I spend time in the summer as a student, it helps to remind me how awfully hard it is to be a student.  During the school year, I know I lose patience with those kids who have my classes in the waning hours of the school day.  I get frustrated with them for pulling out their phones and for Anglo-Saxon epic, Beowulf, or the layered meaning of Shakespearean scenes.  But, when I take a class that requires me to take off my teacher hat and put on my student cap, I remember I need to have a little patience.  Being a student is hard.

I first realized that the Reynold's Institute was going to be a serious endeavor when I looked at the syllabus.  Holy crap!  So much to do...I think that my students must think that, too, when they look over the syllabus I hand them with unfamiliar ideas and new language.  It's a bit daunting.

Then I started the modules and realized how much I had to learn.  It blew me away that the author of our book was a former Orange and Black editor.  Then I began to wonder if I had bitten off more than I could chew.  But, I doggedly worked through the modules and learned a great deal.  I also learned that I needed to learn a lot more.

Then, I got here to Phoenix.  Today, I had to write a story and edit a photo.  I wrote a terrible story and I will use it and the much-bled-on paper Steve will return to me tomorrow.  I will know exactly what it feels like to write a story under pressure knowing it's not my best work.  And the photo I submitted...it sucks.  I have taken a decent picture or two and these sucked.  So, the cathartic epiphany of living the life of a student has been experienced.  God have pity on me.

But, I ask my students to get out of their comfort zones every day at school, so I guess it's only fair that I should get out of mine.  I'll try to post a photo tomorrow.  Maybe...

Sutton Casey
Grand Junction High School
Grand Junction, Colorado

2 comments:

  1. I thought that I was the only one overwhelmed with the curriculum. I was in a total meltdown situation when I realized that I missed the first deadline. I almost didn't come at the last minute. But, here I am and still struggling, but learning a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. It's really good to be put in the place of a student as a reminder. Every year it feels like I get frusterated easier and easier. What did you say Mrs. Youngblood? What is our assignment again? When is it do? Do we really have to do this? Really?
    This year I'm going to take a step back and remember this summer training. Learning new things and stepping out of my comfort zone is scary and sometimes even I need the instructions repeated more than once!

    ReplyDelete