Thursday, June 25, 2015

Time flies when you're having #reynasu

I sure get nostalgic when I pass a display on the second floor documenting the summer an institute for high school journalism teachers came to Arizona State University and the Cronkite School. We met on the Tempe campus, in the not-very-AV-friendly-but-still-nice University Club. Lab time (and there wasn't much) required a roundtrip hike of at least a half mile during a hotter-than-normal two weeks in hotter-than-everywhere Arizona.

In the photos, counterclockwise from top left: Cronkite School professor and former ASNE president Tim McGuire opens the instruction; then-Oregonian top editor Peter Bhatia talks diversity; the group, including Rhonda Weiss, later featured in MTV reality series "The Paper," poses in front of Old Main; and some mentor instructor from the Washington, D.C., suburbs teaches photography.

Some terms I've learned, sometimes the hard way, since 2007:

Sit 'n' git: Productive in managed doses, but not a great way to spend a whole institute.

Talking room: As soon as I sat through my first Reynolds Institute video training, I "borrowed" one of the Cronkite School's video cameras and had my print students start experimenting with it.

Hashtag: There was no #reynasu before the institute moved downtown in 2009.

Modeling: It isn't just done on runways during Fashion Week, and it's something I hadn't realized I'd been doing in 20-plus years as a journalist and journalism instructor.

Pedagogy: I had to look it up. Seriously. How enriching it's been to be around motivated people who study and refine the act of teaching.

10/2: Stolen from Alan Weintraut. If you've spent 10 minutes talking, it's time for the audience to spend two or more minutes sharing.

Gregorian chants: I actually knew what this meant, but I hadn't realized going in how powerful sound and video could be in presentations until I started lifting the idea from institute speakers.

When the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation renewed the institute's funding for five years (later to be extended to make this summer possible), my wife noted that I'd reach a milestone age by the time it lapsed. She was off by a year; I reached that milestone age this year. But anyway, it seemed a long way off.

With the end drawing near, I just wanted to note that it's been professionally enriching and way more fun than anything else I do.

Steve Elliott
Arizona State University
Phoenix

6 comments:

  1. I think it was mentioned in the talk with Dean Callahan that the Cronkite School is going to try to provide a way for this to keep happening despite the end of the Reynold's funding? Is this true? How can we get more information?

    Also, I believe I read a post about an event you guys had that included high school journalism students coming in? Do the students have to be from Arizona? If not, how can my students get involved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita runs that, Steve. I'm not sure how it works, but she can tell you.

      Steve Elliott
      Arizona State University
      Phoenix

      Delete
  2. You can probably add Liposuctioned Quotes to that list now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been, hands down, one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Right after popping out my kid, of course.
    Thank you for all that you do, Steve. I've never been so sure about my career and what I do and my passion for has indeed been reignited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been, hands down, one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Right after popping out my kid, of course.
    Thank you for all that you do, Steve. I've never been so sure about my career and what I do and my passion for has indeed been reignited.

    ReplyDelete