Monday, June 22, 2015

Taking pictures...ARGH!



This afternoon, I had a really difficult time in the auditorium.  I brought my fancy Nikon, that I apparently have no idea how to use, and ended up submitting a photo from my iPhone.  Am I that attached to my iPhone that I don't have patience to figure out my DSLR? Yes! I took a few photography classes in college, but I was more fit to work in the darkroom than behind the lens of a camera. I badly want to learn how to function with a camera up to my face and know exactly what I'm doing with f-stops and aperture settings (are those the same thing?) and shutter speeds. I know all the keywords, I just don't know what they mean!  Every time that I have tried to learn, I forget soon after my lesson.  My question to you fellow journalism educators, what are some tips?  Can some of us maybe get together this week after sessions and play around with our cameras together?  I would like to try several different lighting situations and angles.  I want to go back with some kind of knowledge as to how to work my camera, so my kids can take me seriously.

Amanda Wimmer
New Braunfels High School
New Braunfels, TX

4 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    I'd be happy to help you.
    Judy Babb
    West Mesquite HS
    Mesquite, Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll try to get with you on some downtime (LOL!).

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'll try to get with you on some downtime (LOL!).

      Delete
  2. Amanda - Yes, f-stops and apertures are the same thing. My best tip is to just shoot ... but probably not when you have a 6 p.m. deadline looming. And, like Judy, I'd be happy to help.

    Kris Urban
    Corona del Sol High School
    Tempe, Ariz.

    ReplyDelete