Friday, June 26, 2015

Relationship with Administrator


One Advisor’s Story
I truly have no complaints about my relationship with my administration. I have a tremendous amount of respect from all of them, and I feel sometimes like they think I walk on water. There is not a day that goes by that one of them is not telling me thanks for a job well done. I know that all of the extra jobs I take on at the school have made me an important commodity to the administration.

I think the number one element that creates and feeds a healthy relationship with administrators is mutual respect and trust. As a teacher and adviser of the high school media program, I think it is crucial that my administrators know they can trust my students because they trust me. That type of trust can only happen if there is open communication. I have made a practice of going into my administrator’s office and giving them a “heads up” about potentially sensitive topics. They know ahead of time and can be prepared for any uncomfortable or angry phone calls or emails.

Even though I live in a state that has a conservative culture, I truly believe that my administration understands that the school paper and my new broadcast program are there as an opportunity for students to express their views. In fact, my assistant principal, whom I have the best relationship with, is always the one that just smiles every time an issue comes up and tells me how proud he is of my students and my program. He loves it when the students responsibly cover issues that other people just want to brush under the rug because he knows that there is power in a free society that is allowed to express their feelings and beliefs through a responsible media. Even if the head administrator begins to fold under community pressure, the assistant principal has ALWAYS been on the side of the students. He is truly a remarkable administrator that makes every decision and supports any and all programs that are good for kids.

Top 10 for a Healthy Relationship with your Administration
  1. Pick your battles. Not everything needs to be the “mountain you will die on!” Make sure that you save those moments of stubbornness for when they are truly necessary.
  2. Do your job right. There is nothing an administrator appreciates more than a teacher that gives 100% to their job at all times.
  3. Respect goes both ways. If you want your administration to respect you, you must respect them.
  4. Show appreciation. Let them know that you truly appreciate their input (even when you don’t agree
    with it!)
  5. Communicate openly. Share situations with them and make sure you let them know that you truly
    want their feedback and opinion. That does not mean you will always do as they suggest, but be clear
    about everything and keep those lines from getting hazy.
  6. Share the load, share the wealth and share the responsibility. Make sure they understand that while it
    is your responsibility to teach a solid journalism program, it is their responsibility to be educated on
    the laws and ethics of high school journalism.
  7. Believe in your students. Make sure that your administration knows that you believe in your staff that
    they will make the right decisions because you taught them to do so.
  8. Give in at times, but don’t give up. Even if you don’t win one round, always pursue what is
    journalistically the right path.
  9. Never raise your voice. When conversations do get tense or a disagreement arises. Keep your cool
    and never lose your temper. Let everyone else flail about and stomp their feet.
  10. Teach journalism well. There is NOTHING better than teaching your students the right things to do
    in all situations. If your students have a sound journalistic basis to draw from in order to make good, ethical decisions, you won’t end up in the principals’ office in the first place. 


No comments:

Post a Comment