Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Pushing Students Outside of Comfort Zone

Thanks Steve.  You really did it.  You pushed this student so far outside her comfort zone I was in near tears.

Photography- I can take pictures
Photography editing- I get the basics
Audio- I got it.
Audio editing- Lost.
Video taping- I got it
Video editing- I lost it.  And in the worst way possible. Enter anxiety attack.

I am so outside of my element and starting to think to myself, "This isn't what I signed up for!  I wanted to learn about writing.  I'm not the media teacher."  I learned a few of my colleagues felt the same way.  But attitude makes all the difference.  Their attitude and quest for learning something new was so more positive and optimistic than mine.

However, I needed to reflect on my role as a student.  Sometimes, teachers make the worst students. When I don't understand something, I break down.  Yesterday's film practice was all new to me.  My team is amazing and I am so grateful for their support in getting me through this challenge.  I know today will be equally challenging, but I now realize the value of learning something new and unfamiliar.  I am still out of my comfort zone, but I promise to make the most of this opportunity.

Moral- I now can put myself in the shoes of my students who really are clueless in the classroom.

Ann Neary calmly assists Sharon Fonzo and said, "Everything will be alright.  We're in this together."

Sharon Fonzo
Poston Butte HS
San Tan Valley, Arizona

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain! We can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sharon for this nice tribute! We did so well considering our lack of experience. And we will get better as we go-

    ReplyDelete