Thursday, June 25, 2015

Overcoming Video Nerves

I knew going in that my main goal for this institute was video.  I have avoided it for years.  After playing with it for a few days, I can't wait to get back and get going.  It's really cool and it's really not that hard. 

The basics are just that, pretty basic.  The exciting part is that I can't wait to get back and play around with all of the other crazy things that it does.  There are so many clicks and panels just like every other Adobe product.  I am excited to get home and make some pretty bad videos and learn in the process.

Photo: Jose Joaquin Perez Soriano

Selfishly, I can't wait to get home and make some pretty awesome home videos.  That's pretty exciting.

Larry Steinmetz
Bullitt East High School
Mount Washington, KY 

6 comments:

  1. Larry, I couldn't agree more. I forced myself to accept my discomfort. When workshops ended at 6 p.m. tonight I went back to room 318 and scraped everything from yesterday. I needed a quiet room and some time alone to rethink my content. While the interviews were not great, I worked with what we had. I learned so much. For starters, I would not accept the footage we rolled. I would send my students back out for a follow up interview. However, my goal was to learn the software. I feel like I did it. This is a huge change from my feelings at 5:59 p.m. when I texted my husband that I was a failure. Off to divver now.
    Debra Klevens
    Parkway West High School
    Ballwin, MO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry! I know, right? I am over the moon about what I've learned here and I'm glad I got to learn a lot with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry! I know, right? I am over the moon about what I've learned here and I'm glad I got to learn a lot with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry and Kelly-you are my heroes! I am still a little afraid of the video but think it is amazingly cool, and I really like the vocabulary that comes with it.Scrub.
    Ann Neary
    DeWitt Clinton

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't leaving that damned editing room without the final product on my flash drive, especially after losing all of my footage from yesterday because I didn't save correctly. Ultimately, I am reminded that when these things happen with my students, it IS due to a mistake they made, but I totally know how it feels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love video! Youtube was my best friend when I was starting out on video. I'm still a little scared of it, especially when setting it up and exporting the right files. I'm never sure of the preliminary settings or what all the file types mean. I'm just glad we are in an age of non-linear editing! I don't know if I could be patient enough to splice actual film together. :)

    Victoria R Tijerina
    Moises E Molina High School
    Dallas, Texas

    ReplyDelete