Friday, June 26, 2015

Movies about Journalism Ethics




In our Journalism Ethics module there is a list of films. Shattered Glass is a film on the list and I did contemplate showing the film. Instead of watching the entire film, the DVD comes with the 60 Minutes piece about the story of Stephen Glass. I showed the 60 Minutes piece to save time, but also as a model for strong journalism. They interviewed all of the key players including Glass. Story is well produced. There are also enough interviews on YouTube to drive home the point of ethics to your students.


I did decide to show a documentary about the current state of print journalism with the rise and fall of the New York Times. I highly recommend showing Page One: Inside the New York Times to your students.

The other documentary about the current state of journalism and the cuts made to investigative journalism (with probable impact of the cuts) is Black & White and Dead All Over. The film follows what occurred with the L.A. Times, Chicago Tribune company, and other media outlets. I highly recommend showing this film to students.

Overall, there are some strong documentaries regarding journalism ethics and how journalism is under attack from the corporate establishment.

Al Schleicher
Los Angeles Leadership Academy
Los Angeles, California

5 comments:

  1. I also show a video about covering disasters and ethics around the week of 9/11. Most of my kids have a general idea what happened, but I had many of my kids in tears when I showed them the 15 minute Newseum's, "Running Towards Danger."
    http://www.newseumdigitalclassroom.org/digital-classroom/video/running-toward-danger/default.aspx
    They really got a feel for how seeing disaster unfold, some of the pitfalls to covering disasters, and turned into a great, eye-opening experience for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also show a video about covering disasters and ethics around the week of 9/11. Most of my kids have a general idea what happened, but I had many of my kids in tears when I showed them the 15 minute Newseum's, "Running Towards Danger."
    http://www.newseumdigitalclassroom.org/digital-classroom/video/running-toward-danger/default.aspx
    They really got a feel for how seeing disaster unfold, some of the pitfalls to covering disasters, and turned into a great, eye-opening experience for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this post! I have never shown movies but will be starting. I don't have a lot of time so will need to narrow the scope. What are the top 2 journalism movies we must show?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do show Shattered Glass and my students love it every year. I have them do the packet that I have downloaded that goes with it. I also show State of Play and All the President's Men. They are glued to the screen for State of Play.
    I like the two documentary suggestions there, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Al you've shared a great variety of movies here for us. As I have stated before, I have not had the time to include a movie(s) into my curriculum but I will be making time next year because everyone has had nothing be outstanding things about Shattered Glass.


    Bernice Young
    Oakleaf High School
    Orange Park, Florida

    ReplyDelete