Friday, June 26, 2015

Local Sun Devil perspective

I'm a 1991 Cronkite grad. When I first heard the Cronkite School was moving from the Tempe campus to the new ASU Downtown Campus, I was disappointed. I even wrote a letter to the dean expressing my discontent. I didn't believe in taking students away from the campus they were covering. As someone who has lived in the Valley since 1986, I also wondered about parents being willing to send their children to college in downtown Phoenix. After college, I spent every Friday night at the Arizona Republic/Phoenix Gazette covering high school sports with a group of friends. Occasionally, we would go to the Arizona Center after deadline, but most often, we would head back to the east valley. Downtown Phoenix was simply not the place to be.

I've spent a lot of time in the Cronkite School over the last 10 years. As an Arizona Interscholastic Press Association board member, I've been here for board meetings, workshops and receptions. However, the only time I spend in downtown Phoenix—outside of the Cronkite School—is at sporting events or the JEA/NSPA conventions, which are held at the Convention Center. Downtown Phoenix is not really a "destination" like downtown Tempe or Old Town Scottsdale would be.
 
Spending this week in downtown Phoenix has changed my perspective a bit—although I think I would have ventured further if it weren't 110 degrees outside. Phoenix still has a long way to go, but ASU has begun to revitalize the downtown area. More shopping is definitely needed to make Phoenix worthy of the title of nation's sixth largest city, but hopefully with more residential buildings going up and the O'Connor Law School opening next year, Phoenix will become a "real" city.

I've had several students who would "play the game" and not major in journalism as a freshman just so they wouldn't have to live downtown. I disagree, but, at the same time, I understand they don't want to give up the campus life. But Phoenix is improving, ASU Downtown is improving, and now, with some personal experience, perhaps I can convince my students to make the Cronkite choice.

Kris Urban
Corona del Sol High School
Tempe, Ariz.

3 comments:

  1. As an outsider from colorful Colorado, I can't comment much on the difference in the locale. What I can say is that after spending a week here, I am likely to encourage young journalists to attend ASU. I am impressed with the breadth of opportunity and the depth of knowledge that I have observed here. ASU does get a few of the students from my high school, and I hope to send a few more in the next few years to the Cronkite School of Journalism. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your perspective this week, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a native, but I've lived in AZ for 15 years and spent my first teaching year at a performing arts school downtown. At that point the light rail was still a pipe dream and the downtown streets remained empty on the weekends. This revitalization, no matter how slow, is such an exciting thing to see and what a great opportunity for student journalists to be on the front row of those changes. I think sometimes that the college campus experience coddles young people even further and when they are finally thrust into the real world they are ill-equipped to deal. The Cronkite model seems a nice blend of college with a more realistic perspective on the demands of a career after college.

    Jennifer Woolsey
    Sunrise Mountain HS
    Peoria, AZ

    ReplyDelete