Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Students Can Do

June 23, 2015

                                         

    I can not thank our presenters enough for their time, knowledge and wisdom that they have shared with the teachers participating in the 2015 Reynolds High School Journalism Institute. Some of what we have learned and practiced during the sessions will be unfortunately forgotten once we return home and count the days until the school year starts again. To help kick start you back into the digital media world,  I wanted to share some useful links that might help you and your students with video production and at the same time learn about teens in Hawaii.  I invite you all to visit the website
http://pbshawaii.org/hikino/, to view videos made for Hiki No PBS Hawaii by middle and high school students. I use these videos to teach my students about sequencing, b-roll, natural sound and good story telling.  Hiki No is Hawaiian for Can Do, and the students of Hawaii have proven they can produce a weekly student news show about their community.
 Another website I have my students refer to is hosted by the Hawaii Creative Media Team, http://www.hawaiicreativemedia.org/activities. This website has useful information about equipment, pitching a story and camera angles. Both Hiki No and the Hawaii Creative Media team are generous with the sharing of knowledge with teachers and are passionate about youth making an impact on their community through digital storytelling.

Mahalo and a hui hou kakou,

Michelle Obregon
Konawaena High School
Kealakekua, Hawaii


1 comment:

  1. I will definitely check this information out. I want students in my African lit class to do a digital story project. We usually do a puppet theatre with African folktales and now I can take it step further. I'll check out these resources of yours from Hawaii. Thanks,

    ReplyDelete