Saturday, June 27, 2015

How Many Words do I Really Need?


I tend to be a little wordy.  Looking at some of the writing pieces I have done this week I can really see how I can tighten up my writing approach.

Wait strike that…

Reflecting on this week’s writing samples, I can tighten up my writing.

Ok that’s a little better, but I’m sure there is probably an even better way to edit that sentence down. This week has made me realize that I miss writing and that I may need to start a blog. If I’m not trying to better my own writing skills how can I really expect to effectively instruct my students?

The Write Tight session really hit home with the kind of feedback I need to provide with my students. This last year I would do most of the edits on my students’ stories. I need to get them to a place where they feel more confident in their own writing. I want them to edit and review on their own and with their peers. I am going to review the clichés, redundancies and things to avoid with my students.

I’ve learned so much this week, and I do have to say while goodbyes are bittersweet I am ready to get back home. Going home means getting back to family who I have missed more that I anticipated, but it also means reflecting on everything I have learned and to start planning for next year.

So how many words do I really need? I think in this case just two: Thank you.

Jill Cavotta
Mater Dei High School
Santa Ana, Ca

2 comments:

  1. Well said. I'm glad the tight-writing session was of value.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jill! The Write Tight session was valuable indeed. I will teach Advanced Comp, Intro to Journalism and newspaper next year. I will live in the land of writing. I'm so excited to have the presentation because I will definitely use it. A few of the ideas for activities were great for all of my classes. Summarizing an article using a limerick, haiku or quatrain was quick, fun and informative. I can't believe I've never thought to use a movie clip for a writing exercise like the couple that we did.
    I have a vision of my newspaper lab being wall-papered in AP style rules, common errors to avoid, write tight rules, etc...
    I was thrilled to arrive home to the smiling faces of my little ones, and I can't wait to see the smiling faces of my journalism students in July to make great changes and plans.
    Wonderful to meet you and spend time with you.
    Andrea Lyons
    Marietta High
    Marietta, GA

    ReplyDelete