Sunday, June 28, 2015

Do You Pin?




With over 80% female users, it’s easy to dismiss Pinterest as merely a curation tool that drives business for the food, DIY, and fashion industries.  However, with 70 million users in the last five years it is clearly not a social media flash in the pan and is something to make sure our students are aware of and know how to use properly. 

 The New York Times, Washington Post, and Time Magazine, to name a few, are active on Pinterest, so it’s likely that our students who go on to a career in journalism will use the platform as part of a publication's social media campaign or to supplement a story’s angle and reach.

How Educators Use Pinterest for Curation (2012) shares a few examples of how to use Pinterest to support the curriculum and offers a few journalism perspectives.  I especially am intrigued by a method developed by Kelly Fincham She teaches her students to think of Pinterest  “…as a visual ‘SPACE.” “S is for sourcing story ideas and trending topics; P is for promotion and publishing students’ work. A is for aggregation of pictures (with suitable copyright); C is for curating top news, and E is for engaging with others.”

Do you use Pinterest in the classroom? If so, how?

Jennifer Woolsey
Sunrise Mountain HS
Peoria, AZ

3 comments:

  1. I love Pinterest! I use it all of the time with both my journalism and photography students. I have them reference two of my boards very frequently.

    Here is my board for journalism ideas: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkstr/picas-pixels-and-yearbooks-oh-my/

    This one is for photography: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkstr/photography-lesson-plan-ideas-oh-snap/

    I love Pinterest...did I mention that? I think it is very valuable and I love calling it a "visual space." I am a very visual person and find that having this space to gaze at helps me when it is time to be creative.

    I will be using it a little different next year. I want my students to all be able to create a visual space collectively on Pinterest for our publication.

    Heather Eaton
    La Joya Community High School
    Avondale, Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Pinterest for yearbook layout and cover ideas. I also like it for typography.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Pinterest for yearbook layout and cover ideas. I also like it for typography.

    ReplyDelete