Tuesday, June 23, 2015

DAY TWO: Being Comfortable with my discomfort

I woke up at 3 a.m. ready to go.  The adrenaline from deadline yesterday was still in my blood.  I had to talk myself into going back to sleep at 5 a.m.  When the alarm sounded I was ready to go! I stopped at Starbucks and got my large coffee.  I could not wait for Steve and Alan's feedback.  I wanted to frame the red inked paper like a badge of honor in my classroom.

I was shocked with the feedback I received.  I felt on top of the world,  that was until broadcast was introduced this afternoon.  The morning high wore off when I had to begin to tackle the unknown. I hated the fear of failing, the fear of not knowing.  As I sat there, all I wanted to do was run out the door.  I reminded myself that the only way to learn is by failing.

At the start of my career, the "failing first model" was not accepted.  It seems to be a new approach in education, which I love.  I have accepted my discomfort.  With the help and extreme patience of Tammy Parks I think I can learn video.  I am forcing myself to be comfortable with my discomfort.  How else can I ask my students to take a risk if I am not willing to do so myself?

Debra Klevens
Parkway West High School
Ballwin, MO


2 comments:

  1. I had some of the same fears and uncertainties as I tackled the unknown today too. One of the things I kept thinking though was that even if I didn't quite understand something or if a technique I was learning was still too advanced for me, I would always be able to go back later and look at all the quality materials I will leave with, and eventually, after practicing, they will be so valuable.

    Carver Weakley
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my biggest fear of the week occurs tomorrow at the Teach In. I have stage fright times a thousand. But this week has gotten to me where I think I can be comfortable with that discomfort....hopefully.

    ReplyDelete