Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Day 1: ASU and the Show-Me State partnership?

Today the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism Dean challenged us to come up with ways to keep the Reynolds Institute alive.  My brain immediately began running a mile a minute.  I love marketing and this could be a win-win for the state of Missouri.  As the Missouri Journalism Education Association Treasurer, I am trying to add value to teachers all around the state.  Why should educators on a limited budget spend $30 to belong to our organization?  What sets us apart from the other organizations out there? 
Well Dean Callahan, I think this may just be a match made in heaven.  I would love to have you or your colleagues to

share the experiential learning opportunities Walter Cronkite has to offer.  How about coming and speaking to the advisers in Missouri to show them the benefits of coming to ASU?  What the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism has to offer needs to be shared with the Midwest.
The hands-on experience students receive at Walter Cronkite is exactly what students need to be successful in the 21st century.  Students attending Cronkite will graduate with a professional portfolio that sets them apart from the competition.  Gone are the days of reading about how to do things. There is no better way than to get the hands on experience, learning from your shortcomings and creating your own personal playbook.
Today I was living proof as I had two hours to digest your interview and devise an angle.  Sitting in the hot seat, of a student on deadline, was just what I needed.  You all pushed me out of my comfort zone and challenged me.  I suspect this was just a glimpse of what your students experience.  I am truly sold on ASU and the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism experience.
Thank you for the challenge and I hope to see you in the Show-Me state in the not to distant future.

Debra Klevens
Parkway West High School
Ballwin, MO

1 comment:

  1. Nice photo. Do call him on the offer. A former institute attendee got him a ticket to Martha's Vineyard to deliver a Cronkite tribute under similar circumstances.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete