Thursday, June 25, 2015

An Organized Mess



We hear the phrase "it has to get worse before it gets better" in many life situations.  I think in my newspaper class, it's more appropriate to say that "things will get messy before they make sense." That's the cost of creativity and letting my students do their thing without me hovering too close. 


This very thing happened almost every layout week this last school year. We wouldn't have the correct photos needed, a story needed a rewrite, the ad wouldn't fit correctly, or one of my editors was having a meltdown. We even had the mouse moment of '14. This all makes putting a paper together stressful, and at times, epic. However, my students always make it happen, even if everything falls together at the very last moment.  I've learned to step back and give them space and trust them. Short of blood and fire, they do a pretty good job left alone with their work.


This picture is the mess of notes that morphed into my group's news story earlier today.  It took a bit, but we have a final product from this mess. If you look closely, you can see our four different styles of handwriting.


Emily Sell

Bingham High School

South Jordan, Utah

2 comments:

  1. I love it. My greatest concern is that I have taken so many notes that I'm not sure that I will be able to find what I want when I get home. Don't want to leave out any great ideas. Can't wait to post this project tomorrow.

    Larry Steinmetz
    Bullitt East High School
    Mount Washington, KY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that your group has ALL their notes! I keep ripping out pages to hand off to someone els. Not sure if I retained enough to write the article....
    Ann Neary
    DeWitt Clinton HS
    Bronx, NY

    ReplyDelete