Thursday, July 2, 2015

Balancing the Boss



     While listening to Kristin Gilger, I couldn't help but think about my friend who recently lost her life. She was the principal at a small school. We did not work at the same campus, and this allowed her to be frank and open with me about district policies and dealings with parents and staff.  She once shared with me that she feels her only function as a principal is fielding complaints and resolving conflicts. That no one ever tells her she was doing a good job.
   This got me thinking that a principals worth today is based not on their interpersonal skills, but on the data of students scores.  That todays principals seldom get positive feedback about the effectiveness of their leadership skills. Ever since my friend told me this, I try to make an effort to let my principal know that I thought either the implementation of a new policy is working and thanking them for their leadership in implementing the policy.
   Recently I told my principal that his idea of students selling school alumni products at a local store is working, and thanked him for his vision.  I also told him how proud I was of our students at a workshop, that they conducted themselves professionally. I told him it was his leadership in establishing an environment of learning and career readiness that prepared our students for the workshop. By informing him that his policies are making a difference lets him know he is doing a good job.
    I tell my principal he is doing a good job not because I am kissing-up to the boss, but because it is the right thing to do. Students, teachers and even the boss all want to know we are effective at our job or in the classroom. By telling people you value their work, it is then easier to give constructive criticism when the time comes. Having a balanced relationship with the boss will reduce tension at the workplace.


Michelle Obregon
Konawaena High School
Kealakekua, Hawaii



No comments:

Post a Comment