Thursday, June 25, 2015

Zoom With Your Feet

"Zoom With Your Feet"

Why do students want to hide behind the camera lens?

I often observe student photographers walking around with the camera around their neck, standing back and trying to rely on a zoom lens to take a photo from across the gym floor.

Or, I will see them just walking around with the camera and not taking pictures.

So I purposely bought two 'nifty-fifty' lenses to force them to move closer to the subject. At first, they didn't want to use them. Now they see the benefit of the picture quality for classroom shots, but they still don't want to 'fill the frame.'

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Linda Wilson

3 comments:

  1. I did the exact same thing last year. It made an enormous difference. I kids understand movement more than ever. The thing I am struggling with now is that I have talked them out of automatic, but some insist on trying to shoot in full manual which has led to some really bad shots.

    Larry Steinmetz
    Bullitt East High School
    Mount Washington, KY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our staff made the change over to prime lens last year as well. Once they started using them, they saw what a difference it made and that's all they wanted to use. Thankfully it was a success, but that hasn't been the case for all the equipement we've purchase. We have several tripods that got donated to broadcast and some strobe flashes that I'm still trying to get them to use. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same with my kids. I'm buying a 1.2 50-mm lens for sports so that students can get awesome photos and have to get as close as possible. I've heard others do it too. We also do a project where they shoot in the classroom in the beginning of the year. We critique them afterwards and they quickly learn that the better shots are by the ones who got uncomfortable and the faces and expresssion of the people can actually be seen.

    ReplyDelete