Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Importance of Using Each Other

Tonight, while getting to know some fellow journalism teachers, I was reminded just how important it is to take advantage of the knowledge that lies within our peers. Personally I have always encouraged my teacher friends to "steal" my ideas and let them know that I am definitely going to "steal" theirs.  It is like an educator code.  We are like pirates!
Many of us here are in our first few years of advising yearbook/broadcast/newspaper and are still trying to find our way, and learn how to guide successful programs.  It is exceptionally difficult if we have a background that is not in journalism at all.  I am lucky in that I have a broadcast journalism degree and have somewhat of an idea as to how to start building my program.  I also had an amazing yearbook rep my first year advising and, honestly, I don't think I would have made it without her.  She sent me to a first-year adviser's training and it was there that I received the best advice I could have received.  Advisers were encouraged to share with each other what worked for them and what didn't.  Veteran advisers came in and taught sessions and actually gave out flash drives with PDFs that they use in their own classes and taught how to use them in class.  But the most important thing I learned in that little room at the Taylor/Balfour plant was phone numbers and emails for 14 other yearbook advisers.  Since then I can say that I have emailed or called or texted at least five of them since we left each other that October day.  
Using each other to bounce ideas off of, or ask for advice about something, or just call for moral support is so important to our career.  What we do is not easy, but at least we all have each other.
I can't wait to use you all this week!

Amanda Wimmer
New Braunfels High School
New Braunfels, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment