Sunday, June 21, 2015

Takeaways.





"Doing what you love is freedom.  Loving what you do is happiness." ~Melt.

Although Institute is just underway I have been collecting an eclectic assortment of takeaways.  

Never in a million years would I have ever thought I would be honored enough to be among some of the best journalism educators this nation has to offer, let alone given the opportunity to collaborate right alongside of them.

From the materials we have been graciously gifted, from textbooks, to memberships, and culminating with paid travel expenses leaves me speechless.  This is literally the opportunity of a lifetime. 
With every page turn, blog post, tweet, forum discussion, and lasting friendships that are being cultivated I feel complete.

I absolutely love what I do and ever so thankful for making the switch from special education over to journalism.  This is my element.  This is where I feel free.  This is where my soul thrives.  My students and my program mean the world to me.  Knowing that I will be immersed in the journalism world during this Institute will be invaluable to all of my programs and to the programs of any adviser I may meet along this journey.  For that I am grateful.

As I toured Walter Cronkite today I realized how lucky I am to be able to use this state of the art facility with my own students throughout the year.  It makes me proud to know that Arizona is leading the way with cutting edge journalism education.

I love what I do and I feel my passion for this field flow from the deepest parts of my soul when I have the opportunity to speak about my students my kids and the amazing things they are doing for their program.  It makes me one proud Mama Bear, as they so fondly call me.

As I went exploring downtown I found the BEST local ice cream shop (4.5 stars on Yelp!) called Melt. I was given my fruity pebble and toffee caramel crunch ice cream in a takeaway box, all topped with a fortune cookie.  

My fortune spoke volumes to my teacher heart...

“Doing what you love is freedom. Loving what you do is happiness.”

This could not ring more true.  My heart is full.  Overpaid.


Heather Eaton
La Joya community High School
Avondale, Arizona
 

No comments:

Post a Comment