Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Real World Opportunities

Creating real world opportunities for my students is a passion of mine.  With the skills they are taught in publications, I feel that our kids make the perfect interns. 

Students often don’t know how to make the professional connections.  This is where I am starting to come in.  Last week I had a woman from the American Cancer Society reach out to me to see if I had a student that would be interested in a social media internship.  I posted it on out publications Facebook page but then also reached out to a student that I thought would be the perfect candidate.

Everything came to a screeching halt when they asked her for a resume.  She didn’t know what a resume was or how to create one.  I texted her some links and asked her to send me her rough draft.  After a couple revisions she thought she was ready to go.  That’s when I introduced the cover letter to her.  We went through a similar process and she was ready to apply for the internship.

I contacted my friend at the ACS to say the student’s resume and cover letter were on their way and she said, “Wait, she’s in high school?  We are looking for a college-aged student.”

I didn’t let that deter me.  I then ran into a former students mom this weekend.  After talking for a while she asked me if I had any students that would be interested in a social media internship.  I immediately replied and asked if a high school student would be okay and she was elated. My student sent over her resume and now is in the hiring process. 


Internships are everywhere.  Network with those in your community to see if you can help them.  Most of the time, smaller non-profits are ecstatic to have someone that knows how to use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.   By providing students with these opportunities, you are helping to prepare student to be capable and confident employees in the real-world.

Debra Klevens
Parkway West High School
Ballwin, MO

1 comment:

  1. Since you have a background major in journalism, you probably have a few contacts in the journalism field. You may already do this, but I've brought these contacts to my classroom and taken the kids on field trips to tour their publications. I think what's been the most valuable for my students however, has been job shadows. Journalists have given my students some really cool hands-on experiences and it's so rewarding as a teacher to have paved the way for that to happen.

    ReplyDelete