Friday, June 26, 2015

Principals are your pals

Yesterday was a lot of fun for me when we discussed our bosses.  I am excited about having  a new boss because my former boss was the devil incarnate.  He was a monstrous bully that ran off some excellent teachers, Mark Newton may have been one of them, and now he is gone.  He is gone that is good.  I am also married to a great principal.  I know that sounds a bit boastful, but actually he was and his staff begged him to return for four years.  So, I know that not all principals are obnoxious idiots.

One thing I do know is this:  a good principal is worth his or her weight in gold.  The issues of the newspaper and yearbook are of special concern because they are so visible.  If you have a good principal, keep him or her in the loop.  Invite them to understand the workings of the paper and let them meet your staff.  I intend to make the Orange and Black our new principal's best friend.  He will love us so much that he will pay for me to go on-line next school year.  That's my goal.  I would like to see if he would even write a column.  I run a column in my little Plateau Valley Times written by the superintendent of the Plateau Valley School.  He likes me!

Here's a photo of my really nice principal husband who is going back to work to be an interim principal in a school district that doesn't even have a newspaper.  Maybe I'll be able to talk him into doing an on-line version, too.  He has one English teacher  for the high school and the athletic director does the yearbook, so maybe he can even do the newspaper himself!  I'll give him a quick in-service when I get back before he moves to Deer Trail.


Sutton Casey
Grand Junction High School
Grand Junction, Colorado 81501

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Principals are people too. Right? I am not sure if I want my principal to be my pal. But, they are human like the rest of us and we should remember this.

    Esther Bateson
    Basha High School
    Chandler, AZ

    ReplyDelete