Sunday, June 28, 2015

I didn’t know how much I didn’t know (or maybe I did)



I came to the institute with expectations of what I’d learn. It fulfilled all of the obvious and valuable things to expect- tips for writing, InDesign, Photoshop, etc… However, the really fun part was the anticipation of what unexpected thing I was going to learn in each session, and I’d like to share a laundry list of the things I loved (sans photography b/c I’m doing another post on that):
1) Google advanced search for free use images & reverse image look up/verify
                *Had to share this: It’s just a funny google feature if anyone ever asks a really stupid question (or a question that could obviously be googled. Let me google that for you- lmgtfy.com)
2) Teach in method- I’m going to use this in my classes. I think it’d be great for unit reviews or photo unit (one picture-explain composition) or many other subjects. I’m also going to suggest it for department or faculty meetings.
3) Quill & Scroll Honor Society- looking forward to calling up Judy from Q&S to get signed up.
4) Social media analytics- analytics.twitter.com. tweepsmap (shows where your followers are located), tweriod (shows day/time of follower interaction)
5) trendsmap.com (google maps what’s trending by city)- I think this will help with understanding story ideas and how media influences society. Great tool for discussion!
6) Write tight using a video clip from a movie to show not tell. I’ll use this in all my classes!
7) Fonts & formatting- serif for text, sans serif for headlines, ideal column width is the alphabet plus half the alphabet (even I can do that math)
8) Mock reporting activity- I think students would love this (we all did!)
Geez, that’s only from my little notebook that I can actually reach on the plane…I can’t imagine how much longer my list will be from the giganta-file we got to bring home! 

Andrea Lyons
Marietta High
Marietta, Georgia

4 comments:

  1. Great headline. I'm glad the institute was so helpful.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this list as it will help me remember what I want to take back to my class in the fall. I think the teach in is a great way to share what's going on in other departments or for a quick tip to share out...especially b/c the time is limited so people have to get right to the point!

    Jennifer Woolsey
    Sunrise Mountain HS
    Peoria, AZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this list. Thank you for doing all of the hard work and putting it together for me so that I can use it in three weeks. Yes, true but sad school starts in three weeks. I came to Institute feeling like my programs were doing ok, but soon realized I didn't know as much as I thought I knew! Thanks for sharing your list with us for reference.

    Heather Eaton
    La Joya Community High School
    Avondale, Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You did a great job of summarizing some of the big points! I'm going to be referring back to this as I continue to make my priority list for the fall.

    Keith Carlson
    Naperville Central High School
    Naperville, Ill.

    ReplyDelete