Thursday, June 25, 2015

Forehead slap!


I can't believe I never thought of keeping all PDFs in color when we publish to Issuu. That is definitely something we need to do.

I'm still not convinced about just converting color pages to B&W in the PDF process; that's definitely something I would want to talk to my print about. We're not that good at editing B&W photos in the first place, so I'm not sure if just PDFing color photos in B&W will make them look flat or too contrast-y.

Regardless, I think it's worth the extra effort for our readers. Just because we can't afford to print our papers in full color doesn't mean we shouldn't publish our PDFs in full color. Can't wait to share this idea with my editors; I just hope I don't forget about it.

Kris Urban
Corona del Sol High School
Tempe, Ariz.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about how we print the Orange and Black as of yet. But I know that I send my little paper to the printer in full color and tell the printer what pages/flats I want in color. He does a great job printing it, so it must work for him. I wish I could get our local paper to print our paper for us like Alan gets his done. What luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the biggest jaw drops of the week for me, both in terms of my lack of knowledge of the possibilities and my stupidity in never having considered such a simple idea. I think I want to take one of this past year's color pages, figure out how to save it in grayscale, and send it to my printer to have him do a mockup so we can see how it looks. Better to experiment now, before it counts!

    ReplyDelete