Sunday, June 28, 2015

Don’t let perfection get in the way of progress




For the past five years I’ve had thoughts about changing a multitude of things in the paper. We’ve successfully changed front page design each time and then we slide down the slippery slope back to the way things always were with the busyness of the year. This year is going to be different. Yes, that is my positive affirmation and I mean it!
I have meetings scheduled in July with my editors and staff. I’m ready to receive their ideas and I’m excited about providing more direction to guide them. I’ve got some non-negotiable items for myself that I plan to take care of next week & some others to discuss and move forward with my staff this year.
-I will create useful time-saving documents- an honor code, a syllabus, a self-evaluation checklist for staffers, a checklist for editors to ‘inform’ my grading, descriptions and duties for each leadership responsibility.
-I will teach my staff the most important writing and design elements I have learned and we will redesign our paper.
-We will develop a branding idea- a t-shirt for my staff, a media shirt for all involved in media program, and a banner for paper day and other uses.  
-We will amp up our social media by making requirements for amount of tweets/posts on twitter and Instagram & retweets, pre-planning tweets/posts out for big events & paper days, and having a social media editor.
-I will seek resources to support us better. We will continue to use gift card donations for small prizes, but we will be more focused in our local partnerships. We will contact our local newspaper to see what they are willing to do/print/sponsor with us or for us. I will explore donors choose as well.
-We will create a school scavenger hunt to get to know people, places, etc. Then we will perfect this into an Intro to Journalism class activity.
-We will create a ‘media’ group between Intro to Journalism, Intro to Broadcast, newspaper, Blue Devil News, and yearbook. We will also decide how we want Intro to Journalism to contribute to our paper.
-We will revise the list above with staff input and then we will post it in the room for the year’s goals and accountability.

Andrea Lyons
Marietta High
Marietta, GA
 

No comments:

Post a Comment