Thursday, June 25, 2015

A few more tools

The best thing about this institute is all of the sharing we are doing.  I love the exchange of ideas.  So here are two of mine; Alan mentioned UpFront Magazine and I thought I'd show it to you  here.
I am also posting this cool book I got on infographics for literature.  If you are a regular-old English teacher part of the day, this book might be fun to get.  It might also inspire your journalists.

Up Front http://upfront.scholastic.com/
You can use this magazine in a lot of ways and I really love it.  We use it for Kelley Gallagher's "Article of the Week"  and for practice with non-fiction texts.  As Alan mentioned, there are all kinds of fantastic video links and teacher support materials.  There is usually a primary source document in each issue and there is always a political cartoon. It is rich for inspiring discussion. It is worth the money.  If you put your order in by the end of the month, June, you get a 25% discount.  You also get access to the archives and that is worth the money of the subscription.  You can do a lot of research with the archives.

 Next here the title of the book with Infographics for literature.  I actually bought the book because it was sort of funny, but now I see it as a great example of different kinds of infographic designs.  
Good night, dear friends,
Sutton Casey
Grand Junction High School
Grand Junction, Colorado

4 comments:

  1. Sutton-this is so cool!Thank you for the embedded graphics!!And you told me about Upfront the other day so I am sold. As an
    English LA teacher I follow Kelly Gallagher so will enjoy his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for telling us about this book! I went straight to Amazon to order it and fell into a black hole because there's a whole SERIES of these. So I bought all of them. Oops. I am excited to look at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I saw all those other books and am now going to have to order them, too. I didn't know I needed them until now.

      Delete
  3. This is awesome! I really need to start building up my journalism resource library at work. I'm going to get the infographic book for sure.

    Victoria Tijerina
    Moises E Molina High School
    Dallas, Texas

    ReplyDelete